CLUB MEMBERS WINE STORE SALE JEAN LEON
Single bottles – 10% off list price
Case of 6, may be mixed – 20% off list price
Case of 12, may be mixed – 25% off list price
This special wine included in the sale
A man, a time, a wine
The story in brief
– Born 1928 in Santander, Northern Spain
– 1941 – the family moves to Barcelona
– In 1947, aged 19 heads to France crossing the Pyrenees on foot.
– Works as a waiter and whatever else comes his way.
– Tries 7 times to get a ship to Guatemala. Fails
– On the 8th attempt stows away on a ship to New York.
– On arrival works as a dishwasher in a small bar.
– On becoming a US citizen he works as a cab driver.
– Moves to Los Angeles – Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood.
– Finds work at two of the most fashionable restaurants – Villa Nova & Villa Capri
– Villa Capri owned by Frank Sinatra & Joe Dimaggio.
– His professionalism pays off and he becomes one of Sinatra’s most trusted assistants.
– He moves in a world where he meets many of the biggest names in Hollywood.
– Natalie Wood, James Dean, Grace Kelly & others.
– Becomes close friends with James Dean. They form a partnership to open their own restaurant.
– The restaurant, “La Scala” became the gathering spot for the era’s most influential names in Hollywood,
politicians, & high society.
– Including Marilyn Monroe, Marlon Brando, J F Kennedy & many others.
– He visits his family home in Barcelona with an ambition to make his own wine.
– He buys 150 hectares of the best land in Penedes.
– The entire first vintage of La Scala was served in his restaurant. It was the first Cabernet Sauvignon
produced in Spain.
– In 1981 Ronald Reagan became a close friend.
– He serves Jean Leon wines at his inaugural dinner at the White House.
– In 1993, The Wine Magazine chose La Scala’s 1983 vintage as one of the eight world’s best Cabernet
– The unique personality and identity of the wines exist today.
Vinya La Scala Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva
Single Vineyard – Organic
The nose is remarkably intense, with notes of red fruit compote against a backdrop of toast & spices.
Medium to full bodied on entry, with concentrated tannins imparting a rich & mouth filling sensation of
weight. The smooth tannins result in an unctuous, elegant & complex palate. Long, fresh & persistent on
List Price – £49.50
For further information
Call 01344 843369
Sonny & Chrissie
Monday / Tuesday – Closed
Fully Air Conditioned
Wednesday to Saturday – 10am to 10pm ( Last orders 9pm )
Sunday – 10am to 4pm ( Last orders 3pm )
Wednesday to Saturday – 10am to 8.30pm
Sunday – 10am to 4pm